Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Criticism

To Make An Omelet You Have To Break A Few Eggs
acrylics and pearlescent pigments on board 8x11in, 08, Jude Spacks

Hey Jude,

While painting, I was hearing some rather unhelpful comments like,
That is stupid--do you even know what you are doing?

What about Intention--you have no clue.

Quit being so incoherent!
Where are you going with this?
You think you can show that!?
(Familiar to anyone?)
I realized that I have had a name for this voice for some time, and that in fact,
I have a personification in the flesh of this voice. It is....
The Suspicious Chicken.
and here she is:

I have had this thing in my studio for at least four years--
never realized that she was the source of critical commentary,
before today!

Maybe she's been squawking more lately because
I've been risking some new directions in my work. I'm
moving from an interest in powerline imagery to a much
more abstract response to the constructed nature of the
urban environment. Here's a couple examples:

Study for Queen and Walnut by Bonnie Miller
30 x 36 in acrylic on canvas 2007


Wires by Bonnie Miller
16 x 16 inches, acrylic and mixed media on canvas 2008


Anyway, I wish everyone good luck with any Suspicious Chickens
you find.

Bonnie Miller
www.bonniemillerarts.com


Dear Bonnie,

Wow, that's quite a chicken! Maybe she actually broadcasts directly
to psyches in studios all around the world.

There might be a clue here
as to the source of eggshells for
walking on when giving feedback....


Thanks for sharing your discovery and your wonderful pictures.
And thanks for the inspirational courage to follow new directions
despite squawking.

Cheers,
Jude

1 comment:

Websafe said...

Bonnie Miller's work is amazing, both the power-line painting and the textured assemblage. Hard to believe that such an artist would feel worried about her work, but there you are!